Traveling to the venue
There are a considerable number of flights daily (10-20 depending on the season) connecting Heraklion International Airport (“Nikos Kazantzakis”, airport Code: HER) with Athens International Airport “Eleftherios Venizelos” (ATH). There are also direct connections from Heraklion to various Greek islands as well as to major European cities. Aegean Airlines and Olympic Air are the major airlines operating flights to Athens.
- Olympic Air, 25th August Street 27-29, Tel. +30 281044846, 2810244824, 2810244868
- Aegean Airlines, Dimokratias 11, Tel. +30 2810344321, 2810344321, 2810344761
- Sky Express, Heraklion Airport, Tel. +30 2810223500, 2810223500, 2810282828
The distance from the airport to Heraklion center is approximately 5 km.
There are three ferry lines sailing daily between Athens (departure from Piraeus Port) and Heraklion:
- Minoan Lines(Departure 21:00 – Arrival 06:30)
- ANEK Lines(Departure 21:00 – Arrival 06:00)
- Blue Star Ferries (Departure 21:00 – Arrival 06:00)
Move around in Heraklion
Distances from center of Heraklion (approximate):
- 5km to Heraklion International Airport
- 20 minute walking distance of Port
- 6km to the Minoan Palace of Knossos
- 8 – 10km to FORTH
The use of a taxi is a convenient and relatively inexpensive means of transport in Heraklion. Taxis in Heraklion are silver. You can find them at the airport, port and bus station. You can also find them at several taxi stations in the city center: Plateia Eleftherias/Freedom Square, Lion Square and in Plateia Kornarou/Kornarou Square.
The cost of a taxi from the airport to the center of Heraklion is approximately 10 to 15 Euros.
There is a frequent public bus service from Heraklion airport to the city center. Ticket vending machines are located next to most main bus stops (Plateia Eleftherias/Freedom Square and Plateia Kornarou/Kornarou Square). You can also buy tickets from most kiosks around the city. We advise you to buy your ticket prior to getting onto a public bus. The current price of the bus ticket from the airport to the city center is 1.20 Euro (one way) or 2.00 Euro if purchased on the bus