There is a considerable number of flights daily (10-20 depending on the season) connecting Heraklion International Airport (“Nikos Kazantzakis”, airport Code: HER) with the Athens International Airport “Eleftherios Venizelos” (ATH). There are also direct connections from Heraklion to various Greek islands as well as to major European cities. Aegean Air and Olympic Air are the major carriers to Athens.
- Olympic Air, 25th August 27-29, Tel. +30 281044846, 2810244824, 2810244868
- Aegean Airlines, Dimokratias 11, Tel. +30 2810344321, 2810344321, 2810344761
- Sky Express, Heraklion Airport, Tel. +30 2810223500, 2810223500, 2810282828
The distance from the airport to Heraklion center is approx. 5 km.
There are now three ferry lines going daily between Athens (Departure from Piraeus Port) and Heraklion:
- Minoan Lines (Departure at about 22:30, Arrival at 6:00)
- Superfast Ferries (Departure at 15:00, Arrival at 21:30)
- ANEK Lines (Departure at about 21:00, Arrival at 6:00)
Move around in Heraklion
Distances – approximately, from the center of Heraklion:
- 5 km to Heraklion International Airport
- approx. 20 minutes walking distance to the Port
- 6 km to the Minoan Palace of Knossos
- 8 to 10 km to FORTH
The use of a taxi is a convenient and relatively not expensive mean of transportation in Heraklion. Taxis in Heraklion are colored silver. You can find a lot around in the city streets. You can find them also waiting at the airport, the port, the bus stations, in the Lion’s Square, the “Platia Eleftherias” Square, and in “Platia Kornarou”.
From the Airport to the center of town, the cost of a taxi is approximately 10 to 15 Euro.
By Public Transportation:
There is a frequent public bus service from Heraklion-airport to the center of town as well as from the center of town to FORTH. Ticket vending machines are located next to most main bus stops. You can also buy tickets from most kiosks around the city. We advise you to buy your ticket prior to getting onto a public bus. The current price of the bus ticket from the airport to the centre of town is 1.20 Euro (one way) or 2.00 Euro if purchased on the bus and the current price of the bus ticket from the airport or from the centre of the town to FORTH is 1.70 Euro (one way) or 2.50 Euro if purchased on the bus.